Monday, August 27, 2007

#21 Podcasts

This exercise was valuable for me because I didn't realise that there were such beasts as podcast directories. I did look at the three listed as discovery resources - the layout of podcast.net appealed most to me and seemed most useable. The very general headings under which podcasting programs are clumped might be useful as a browsing resource but they cover such variety it is quite stupefying. Things like the 10 most popular podcasts are fascinating but didn't tempt me in the least to sample any.

Podcasts work well as a way of sharing or extending the life of public programs (eg lectures, debates, seminars) conducted by libraries; as we develop audio guides to exhibitions or collection items it would be useful to load those as podcasts; now that Australian poetry pamphlets are digitised we could podcast some of those poems being read to bring them alive. I have been reflecting on whether the podcast at the beginning of each exercise or 'thing' has added a different dimension to learning - I don't think it has made a material difference.

I added the British Library's podcast feed to my Bloglines account.

No comments: