Wednesday, August 15, 2007

#19 Web2.0 Tools

Selected Yahoo Answers to look at - it is a cluttered site, which does not appeal to me. However, it is a site that gives you a lot of information about how each transaction/question is proceeding and about the standing or rating of those asking and answering questions which is an interesting and accountable way of managing things. Good use of tags and clouds too. I decided I had better leave the site when I became mesmerized by the actual questions and answers rather than looking at the site and its attributes.

So, off I went to Etsy in the retail category - retail being a personal strength. By contrast a very visual site - lots of photos. This makes sense given the purpose of the site. Library sites could do with more visuals because ours are so text heavy. The other thing that appealed to me was the way that the site offered you 'ways to shop' - for example, by colour, by category of item (jewellery, clothes etc), by maker, by how recently posted to the site, by where the vendor is located (yes, there were sellers in Melbourne!) The Library's site divides 'ways' in by research interest (genealogist, media, teacher etc) may be we could add some quirkier ways in to the site/collection.

1 comment:

The Learning 2.0 Program said...

I asked a question on yahoo answers once (just for curiosity) and was not impressed withthe response I got back. It has it's uses but I would be very cautious using it